Chesterfield (London) 
207 Old Marylebone Road
Tel: +44 (0) 203 771 3853
Fax: +44 (0) 203 771 3856

USA Residency

The USA is quite a young country when compared with the rest of the world and due to mass immigration in the 1800’s practically its entire population can trace its routes back to somewhere other than the US so are in fact third or perhaps fourth generation immigrants themselves.

Despite immigration being responsible for its origins and shaping its culture today the US takes its immigration laws very seriously. In order to reside in the US you need a United States Permanent Resident Card formerly known as an Alien Registration Card, this is also informally known as a Green Card. This card confirms that the holder is a lawful permanent resident and has permission to take employment in the United States and must be carried at all times. Failure to carry your card can result in fines or imprisonment. Applications are handled by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

If you have been a lawful permanent resident for five years you can apply for citizenship, this period is only three years if you are married to a US citizen.
You can get your permanent residency through employment or investment.

Employment - There are priority workers such as individuals with extraordinary abilities in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics or professors or researchers with at least three years experience who are recognised internationally or managers and executives.

There are professionals holdings advanced degrees or at least five years progressive experience or skilled workers.

There are also certain professions such as ministers or religious workers or current or former US government workers.

Investors - Investors of at least $500,000 into a US Government designated Regional Centre. Or in a targeted employment area who plan to create or preserve ten permanent full time jobs for qualified United States workers.

If you have a green card you are entitled to take any job or run any business. This also allows you to retire and live anywhere in the US.

Email a friend

Licensed & Developed by UiBS>®