Chesterfield (London) 
207 Old Marylebone Road
Tel: +44 (0) 203 771 3853
Fax: +44 (0) 203 771 3856

Residency and Registration in Germany

The German authorities may be viewed as being very bureaucratic and for first time IT contractors in Germany these often seem very unclear and the reason that some of these may apply to you is because you are working at a Belgian enterprise. At Chesterfield Management we will guide you through the processes some of which will be required under the contract with the agency so that they will pay for your services.

You have an automatic right to work and do not need a work permit in Germany if you have a valid EU17/EFTA or Swiss Passport or national identification card and many of our contractors are in this category. This means you can work without restriction if you hold a passport from ; the United Kingdom, Ireland ,France, Belgium, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, , Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein . Nationals of the newer EU member countries such as Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia, are also entitled to work without restriction.

Citizens of Bulgaria and Romania must have a work permit to take up employment and these transitional arrangements are expected to continue throughout 2013. The employer must prove that the position cannot be filled by a person from the local labour market nor by any of the EU/EEA countries. The laws are more relaxed, however, for highly skilled workers.
All other nationalities must obtain a work permit in order to be able to take up a contract or employment in Germany, and with the enlargement of the EU, it has become more difficult to obtain a work permit.

Next on the list is local registration. There are a number of residency and immigration procedures that need to be followed in order that you can handle the various administrative tasks that are part of living and contracting in Germany. Some countries, such as the UK and Ireland , are very relaxed about registration if but Germany is more bureaucratic.

The rules for residence permits depend on whether you are a citizen of the European Union/European Economic Area or not. For citizens of the European Union and European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) the system has changed. Who can obtain a Freizügigkeitbescheinigung ( free movement permit ).EU citizens no longer require a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) and residence permits can no longer be issued to EU citizens.

Getting a 'polizeiliche Anmeldebestätigung' requires a visit to the local registration office ('Einwohnermeldeamt/Meldestelle'), which is normally part of the local police station or town hall ('Rathaus') and it is the law that you must register if you intend to stay for more than three months. To complete your registration you will need to bring your passport and your rental contract .You should do so within seven days of arrival in Germany, or at least once you have accommodation. All residents, Germans and non-Germans, must register when they move to a new address.

When moving to Germany to take up permanent residence, i.e. staying for more than three months, you must register your address with the authorities within seven days of arrival in most Bundesländer with the exception of Schleswig-Holstein, Sachsen, Brandenburg and Berlin, where you register within two weeks, and Rheinland-Pfaltz, where you must register "unverzüglich" or immediately. In German this is called Anmeldung. This applies not just to foreign nationals, but also to local German citizens. Germans and foreigners alike, when moving between cities within Germany, must register their new address on arrival in the new city. When leaving Germany one must deregister again. In German this is called Abmeldung.

Residence registration / Anmeldung

The residence registration is handled at offices called the Einwohnermeldeamt. In Munich the Einwohnermeldeamt is alternatively known as the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, or KVR for short.

Note that registration of residence and address is the very first paperwork task to be done on moving to Germany.
Change of address / Ummeldung
To register a change of address you don't need to go to the KVR in person. Instead you can usually download the form off the web and send it in by post. The forms for Ummeldung and Anmeldung are one and the same. 

Deregistration / Abmeldung
If moving within Germany, you don't need to deregister. When you register at your new place of residence, notice of your move and change of address will be sent automatically to your last place of residence

If moving outside of Germany, you must deregister - not doing this means various contracts etc. are enforceable, as you are technically still living in Germany. To deregister you just go to the residence bureau (Einwohnermeldeamt) and submit a form to deregister (Abmeldung).

To help you we have put together a short list of documents to keep at hand when moving to Germany.

1. Your valid EU/EEA passport or national identity card with an expiry date of not less than 3 months.
2. A photocopy of your birth certificate
3. A photocopy of your marriage certificate, if appropriate.
4. Your academic qualifications and diplomas
5. Financial statements showing that you have sufficient means to cover the first month of your stay, or if necessary, to return to your home country.

To learn more contact us on our office telephone number 0044 (0)2070971385, request a call-back, or click here to email us .

Email a friend

Licensed & Developed by UiBS>®